Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pumpkin Cashew Chicken Curry


This dish is by far the best thing I have made in a LONG time. My neighbor AnnMarie and her family just moved from Okinawa and gave me a bunch of canned pumpkin. I asked her how she used pumpkin and she shared with me this amazing recipe. I am so thankful she did because it was seriously delicious. You can't go wrong with the flavor combinations in this one pot meal - pumpkin, curry, coconut milk, red onion, cinnamon, cilantro, cashews. I added in carrots for additional flavor and veggie content and this dish could easily be adapted for vegetarians if you substituted more veggies for the chicken. After I made it I put it in my crock pot to hang out on warm for several hours and I think it really intensified the flavors.
This is my new favorite recipe and one I will put into our regular dinner rotation. 
Pumpkin Cashew Chicken Curry
Modified from PaleOMG and recommended by AnnMarie (thanks AM!)
Serves 4-5
Printable Version
Ingredients 
2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons ginger 
1 red onion, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
1/2 can coconut milk 
1 large can of pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup cashews
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon olive oil (or coconut oil)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Pinch of cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro, for garnish 
3 cups of cooked rice (I used Jasmine)
Directions 
Heat large pot or Dutch Oven to medium and add in oil. Add minced garlic and ginger and once fragrant add in chicken and carrots. Cook until chicken is white on all sides. 
Pour in coconut milk, all spices, red onions and pumpkin. 
Raise heat until mixture becomes bubbly, stirring frequently.  Allow to cook until onions have softened, about three minutes. 
This is when I transferred everything to my crock pot but you can also serve it immediately. When ready to eat place on top of rice and garnish with cashews and chopped cilantro. 

4 comments:

  1. I miss cooking with pumpkin!! It's been far too long (since the Fall). This looks absolutely delicious. You are really speaking my language with these flavors! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. this sounds stupid, but I never thought of keeping a dish warm by transferring it to a crock pot..this is a helpful tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering....I'm a pumpkin addict 12 months out of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell just by looking that this is a recipe I will love!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails