Monday, February 18, 2013

Meatless Mondays: Vegetarian Tostadas

I have been hanging on to this Veggie Tostada recipe from one my former students' Mom for a few years now. Jody has shared several delicious recipes with me via email that I kept in a folder and recently I went back through them and decided it was time to finally make these. It contains flavors that my husband and I love and best of all is meatless! I am always on the hunt for good vegetarian recipes. We both gobbled these up, enjoying the southwestern flavors and all the vegetable goodness. It's a very filling, satisfying dinner that doesn't take much time or effort besides chopping. They even taste great as leftovers. I am going to put this one into the regular dinner rotation. Thank you Jody!!

Vegetarian Tostadas
From Jody
Serves 6

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery or bell peppers (I used a combination of these)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 can (15 1/2 oz) red beans, drained (I used black beans instead!)
1 can (15 1/2 oz) Great Northern beans, drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes (do not drain)
2 t. mild chili pepper
1 t. cumin
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro (dried works fine too!)
6 corn tortillas, optional
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes, shredded cheeses, sliced avocado, sour cream

Directions
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion, celery and garlic.  Cook and stir 8 minutes or until softened.  Add beans and  tomatoes with juice.  Stir to blend.  Add chili powder, cumin and stir.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.  Simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.

Preheat oven 400 degrees.
While bean mixture simmers, place tortillas in single layer directly on oven rack.  Bake 10 - 12 minutes or until crisp.  Place one tortilla on each plate.  Spoon bean mixture evenly over each one.  Sprinkle cilantro on top. Top with desired toppings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails