Monday, May 2, 2011

Meatless Mondays: Mayo-less Egg Salad with Pinenuts and Avocado




DSC_4640
I had a HUGE craving for deviled eggs Easter weekend but didn't have the time or energy to put into making them, so opted for egg salad instead. When I got ready to make my egg salad I realized I was out of mayonnaise so whipped up a mayo-less egg salad with sour cream instead. It was creamier and definitely healthier - sour cream has about half the fat and calories of mayo. 

DSC_4637
I decided to get a little crazy and mix pine nuts in my egg salad since I love them and had them in my cupboard. It added a nice crunch! Then I got even crazier and topped my egg salad english muffin with mashed avocado. It was awesome! Egg salad + pinenuts + avocado = Meatless Monday Magnificence! 
DSC_4647
Mayo-less Egg Salad
An Ashley's Cooking Adventures Original
DSC_4623
Ingredients
Makes about 4 servings
10 eggs, boiled and peeled
1 cup sour cream
1 cup celery, diced
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
Several green onions, chopped with white and green parts
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 avocado, mashed (if you want to go a little crazy!)


Directions
Place peeled eggs in a large bowl and chop finely with serrated food chopper. 
DSC_4625
Scoop in sour cream and mustard and mix until smooth. Add in celery, dill, green onions, and pine nuts. Salt and pepper to taste. 
DSC_4634
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top with mashed avocado and enjoy!
DSC_4646

3 comments:

  1. I was all excited about the sour cream switch, but then I saw the avocado and really fell in love! What a brilliant twist!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is crazy then I don't want to be sane! I love the idea of pine nuts and avocado with egg salad. And a healthier egg salad at that. I can't wait to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love deviled eggs and never thought of using sour cream instead of mayo but will try it. Avocado is one of my favorite things in a sandwich or salad lately so that caught my eye. Although I like Pine nuts I may leave them out but try later as I may try pistassio nuts instead.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails