Wednesday, July 7, 2010

30 Things to Make Before I Turn 30: Rib-eye Steaks with Pan Jus

This recipe is from Williams-Sonoma Bride & Groom Cookbook, a wedding present that I received from my Mom's dear friend Sidney. When I came up with my list of 30 Things to Make Before I Turn 30, I saw this recipe in the book and knew it would make my husband a happy man. Plus, I was interested in trying steak served with pan juice. I am not a big fan of red meat, but this was an excellent dinner. The steak is juicy and the jus that is created from the meat drippings, red wine, broth, and fresh herbs turns regular rib-eye into succulent piece of meat! My husband was in heaven because I served blue cheese mashed potatoes as a side.


Rib-Eye Steak with Pan Jus
From Williams-Sonoma Bride & Groom Cookbook - I definitely recommend this book as wedding present by the way! :)


Printable Version



Ingredients
18 - 20 ounces of rib-eye steak - look for one that is about 1 1/2 inches thick
Kosher salt and pepper
1 sprig fresh rosemary (I used three springs!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup dry red wine (I used a Cabernet Sauvignon)
1/2 cup beef or chicken stock (I used broth since that is what I had on hand)
2 springs of fresh thyme
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season the steak liberally with salt and pepper. Pick the rosemary leaves from the stem and press them into the steak. Heat the olive oil in an ovenproof saute pan over medium-high heat. Let the oil get quite hot, but before it starts to smoke, sear and brown the steaks one each side for 1 minute.
Place the pan with the steak in the oven and roast for 10 - 12 minutes or until the steak is medium rare (or desired doneness). Remove the steak from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Let rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile add the wine, stock, and thyme to the drippings in the pan and place over medium high heat. Deglaze the pan, loosening any caramelized bits stuck to the bottom. Simmer until the sauce is reduced by half. Remove the thyme sprigs (I left in!)
Carve the steak with a sharp knife into thin slices. Arrange the slices on a plate and spoon the pan juices over the top. **I actually put the meat into the pan with the juices and covered the meat, then put it on the plate and added more juice My hubby used the juice as a gravy for his mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails