Friday, December 25, 2009

Snickerdoodles





These are probably my all time favorite cookies. I'm not much of a chocolate fan...when given the choices between several cookies, I'll usually pick any kind of cookie but chocolate chip. This makes me a weirdo, I know, but it's why I love these sugar cookies that are covered in yummy cinnamon and sugar.

My mom made these cookies for my brother and I all the time when we were kids. I have such wonderful memories of coming home from school to the smell of freshly baked cookies. My mom was that kind of mom, and I am very lucky for that.

I made these cookies today for my husband and I to have as a little treat on Christmas. The smell of cinnamon in our house on Christmas reminds me of my parent's home, and on a Holiday when we can't be with our family, it's very comforting. Besides all of the nostalgia associated with these cookies for me, they melt in your mouth. Be careful, because if you're like me you're likely to pop 5 of these babies in your mouth without a second thought.

Snickerdoodles

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions
In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup of sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.

Preheat the oven to 375. Combine the 2 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in the sugar-cinnamon mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cooking sheet. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes until the edges of the cookies are golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails